Referral Process Overview
Why, When and How
Why should I refer a student to a counselor?
• Provides students with more individualized support and intervention
• Increases specificity of interventions and tailors supportive efforts to students
• Increases privacy for students
• Allows for students to be removed from the situation or circumstance to begin solution-focused discussions
• Can reduce anxiety and pressure on students
• Allows for students to have the complete attention of an adult
• Allows teachers to continue teaching the rest of the class
When should I refer a student to a counselor?
• Behavioral and/or Emotional Outbursts (i.e., When a student is emotionally overwhelmed and cannot calm down in an appropriate/brief amount of time)
• When a student's behavioral/emotional concerns are greater than those the teacher can support in the classroom setting
• When a student says that he/she requires more support and attention to address or solve a problem, issues, etc.
• When a student says he/she needs more specific and individualized help, solutions, and plans to address issues
How do I refer a student to a counselor?
• Counselor referrals may be planned, more spontaneous, and/or immediate
• For individualized student planning, please remind students to go to the GET CONNECTED page to select a day or days and time(s) to meet with the counselor
• For planned referrals, please complete a referral form and a counselor will respond accordingly to the concern
• For immediate referrals, please email sean.landau
call 808 261 0707 EXT. 2324